logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] can't make routing work any more

From Rob tempest766 at yahoo.com on Tue Feb 4 09:35:04 GMT 2014

A couple of weeks ago I downloaded the pennsylvania-latest.osm.pbf OSM dataset and was able to use osmosis to grab a bounding box and then use mkgmap to create a gmapsupp.img file that allowed automotive routing in the selected region.  I didn't write down the mkgmap options that I used but they were simple and trivial...that I do remember.  It is possible that I used .osm.bz2 XML file instead of the .osm.pbf file but I don't remember for sure.

Now I simply cannot reproduce the process using either file.  I've created a shell script to try to automate the process and no matter what mkgmap options I used the resulting img file tells me no routable roads in my area when I upload it to the GPS and try to route to a road somewhere.

I can create an osm xml file using osmosis that contains the correct bounding box but the final img file loaded into the Oregon 450 GPS seems to not contain any routeable data, no matter what options I use.

I'm doing ./make_gmapsupp left=-80.25 top=42.5 bottom=39.25 right=-78.75 as limits to my script.

This is the script:

#! /bin/sh

PATH=$PATH:./bin

#bpffile=north-america-latest.osm.pbf
pbffile=pennsylvania-latest.osm.pbf

tmp=`mktemp`

check_exit() {
    if [ $1 -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "error code=$1"
        rm $tmp
        exit
    fi

}

echo ""
echo ""
echo "processing bounding box..."
osmosis --read-pbf file=$pbffile --bounding-box $* --write-xml file=$tmp
check_exit $?

echo ""
echo ""
echo "making gmapsupp.img..."