logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address search confused by place=* with name,ref

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Dec 23 19:40:03 GMT 2013

I had not tested the map on my Garmin Edge 705 for a long time, so I do
not know how long ago this got changed. Now I tested with a recent
mkgmap trunk. It could be the revision right before the mergeroads
branch was merged. After the merge, I got some strange error and no
*.img files.

In the address search, I have 3 regions to choose from: Finland, Åland
islands, or Russian Federation. When I select Finland, I see 3 places at
the top of the list: "10 Tykkimäki", "611 Pornainen" and "732 Salla". To
see where these come from, I loaded the output of the following to JOSM:

osmosis --rb finland.osm.pbf --tf reject-relations --tf reject-ways \
--tf accept-nodes 'place=*' --wx finland-place.osm

It turns out that there are a few more place=* nodes with name&ref set,
but the rest seem to use Roman numerals or be outside of my map tiles
(near the country border). Searching for "X" finds "Xi:xii Kyttälä,
FIN", which is ref="XI;XII". Searching for "I" finds a few more suburbs
in Tampere.

The real issue is that searching for "Tykkimäki" or any prefix for it
will not find the "10 Tykkimäki". How could this be fixed (index the
entry with both "$ref $name" and "$name")? Could the ref=* of a place be
omitted from the address search?

I suppose that I would get slightly different results, for ref=* in
boundary=administrative relations, if I used something else than
--location-autofill=nearest. I think that many boundary=administrative
relations would carry the ref= of the municipality or suburb. These ref
numbers are really nerdy stuff, you can at most find them on some
government forms, never in street signs.

Best regards,

	Marko