logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Merge the mergeroads branch?

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Wed Dec 18 13:04:45 GMT 2013

On 18/12/13 09:44, WanMil wrote:
> @Steve: did you ever check the impact of the "carpool" bit in the NOD(?)
> files? Do you think the bit controls the carpool routing?
>
> Mark Burton introduced this bit in 2010 but with a weired behaviour and
> I am not sure if anyone could test it significantly.
> See also http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2009q4/005920.html

I've never checked how the carpool bit works.

However it must have (or had) an effect in the past on at least some
devices.
Reported working here:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2011q3/012140.html

In fact there have been observations that it has unwanted side effects
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2011q3/012138.html
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2011q3/012147.html

In real life carpool lanes
- are just lanes and don't usually affect the whole road but might
   just prevent access to particular junctions,
- have limited times of operation
- Only for major highways.

Any of these may make it less useful for the uses that people want to
use it for.
Although we don't know how to control any of these eg. set the times
of operation, there might be defaults. Probably every device is
different to others too.

..Steve