logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Merge the mergeroads branch?

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Mon Dec 9 18:59:33 GMT 2013

I think the mergeroads branch is "functional complete". I want to know
if you are happy with all changes?

In such a case I would start to document the changes which need to be
done before merging the changes to the trunk.

A short overview of the changes:
* Roads are merged which reduces the number of road entries by 7-25%
using the default style. This results in slightly better routing
calculation times and slightly smaller img file sizes.
* The four labels to pois/lines/roads/polygons are no longer assigned
automatically. They must be assigned using the 'name' and 'addlabel'
function. This also means that ref tags are no longer used as labels
automatically.
* Access restrictions of roads are now defined by setting special
mkgmap:** access tags (e.g. mkgmap:car, mkgmap:foot, mkgmap:bicycle etc.).
* mkgmap:carpool does no longer automatically set all access
restrictions. In the trunk mkgmap:carpool=yes/1/true lead to set all
access restrictions to "no" except emergency, bus and carpool.
* The road speed is no longer automatically calculated using the
maxspeed tag. New style functions maxspeedkmh() and maxspeedmph() allow
style developers to perform the same by setting the
mkgmap:road-speed-class tag.
* Styles can now have a <finalize> block. This block is executed for
each element if an element style definition matches. The finalize block
must contain actions only.

There is no need to convert the "old" style files instantly when adding
compatibility include files to the finalize block. Example for the lines
file:
<finalize>
include 'inc/compat_lines';

Anyhow I strongly propose to use the new degree of freedom in assigning
access restrictions etc. In case you are not convinced about the new
features just open the compatibility includes and you will see that
access handling in the trunk has some shortcomings.

WanMil