logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Possible solution for deformed polygons

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sun Nov 24 10:23:12 GMT 2013

>> I'd like to present house number over building area, see attached
>> >picture. House number is an attribute of building polygon. The same goes
>> >for building name.
>> >
>> >Off topic about address search:
>> >There exist better approach for point addressing, which is already used
>> >in some maps but not supported by mkgmap yet. The idea is to convert
>> >address point to a very short invisible road and then add this road to
>> >search index. This has advantage of precise location of address and also
>> >gives possibility to include house number with letters in street name.
>> >
>> >Maybe you could think about some kind of procedure, which would allow to
>> >convert poi to a line? Like an new option for mkgmap: add-lines-to-poi?
> Sounds interesting. I guess the algo for this is not very different from
> that which calculates the nearest road. Maybe WanMil knows more about this?

So instead of using Garmins housenumber search you want to add a small
road for each POI named with "${streetname} ${housenumber}'?
Technically this sounds quite easy to implement.
Some questions about that:
* Wouldn't that blow up the index size?
* Must each invisible road be connected to the rest of the road network?
Otherwise I expect that Garmin is not able to route to the housenumbered
streets and we get thousands of routing islands?
* mkgmap would have to modify/create a TYP file with one invisible road
type. Should this be processed by mkgmap or is that a task of the map
generator to ensure that the additional road type is invisible?

WanMil