logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address index for multi-country map

From Bernhard Hiller bhil at gmx.de on Mon Nov 11 17:13:00 GMT 2013

Thanks for your hints. With the precompiled boundaries, the map of the
European countries receives a functional address index. When creating a
map of South-East Asia (Thailand, Malysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam,
Indonesia, Laos), the address index does not work: no roads are found in
Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur!

Beyond the fact of the defectiveness with South East Asia, that
procedure does not feel correct at all: it means that I have to get the
same (?) data from two different locations in two different formats. Or
even three, when using the --precompiled-sea option (which I never got
working with South East Asia).
All those files have different update schedules which means
inconsistencies. With central Europe, those inconsistencies are not very
likely, since borders and coast lines are available with high quality.
That does not apply to South East Asia. Last week I updated some
sections of the Thai-Malaysian border, and today of the South-Thai coast.

I know that sometimes a correct solution may be very difficult, and wtf,
let's take a shortcut with a "pragmatic" solution. How complicated is a
"correct" solution here?