logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address index for multi-country map

From Bernhard Hiller bhil at gmx.de on Sun Nov 10 14:23:30 GMT 2013

Meanwhile I did some experiments.

With a fresh download from Geofabrik, I started with germany.osm.pbf
without any additional modification by osmconvert. I split it, and
created the map with the same parameters and style file.
With the examples from Germany, I received the same results.

Next, I removed the "include" sections from the style files and replaced
them by the contents of the respective files.
Same result.

Next, I tried the default style (as of mkgmap 2724). Again, the same
results.

This means: it is not caused by a defect in my style file, nor in a
defect in processing with osmconvert. Also a defect in resolving the
include files can be excluded.
Still, the data downloaded from Geofabrik could be defective.

When I use the --country-name=Deutschland  --country-abbr=DEU
parameters, places are correctly found in Germany. The country "Country"
is no more available. For small villages, the index is then OK. But for
towns consisting of some quarters, it is still defective: there are no
roads neither in Erlangen nor in Bayreuth, and the "Geseeser Weg" can
only be found in "Altstadt" instead of Bayreuth.

Next, I returned to mkgmap version 2654. I had to remove all lines with
"admin_level" from relations, "capital" from points, the comparison of
two values from lines. Also this did not solve the problem.

That means, that the creation of the address index is broken somewhere
in mkgmap.