logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address index for multi-country map

From Bernhard Hiller bhil at gmx.de on Mon Nov 4 18:33:39 GMT 2013

I try to build a map of Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Czech Republic
with a functional address index.
I downloaded the Geofabrik extracts for those countries, combined them
(after conversion to o5m format) with osmconvert, split them, and create
the map.

The result is quite mixed: some places show up below "Country" instead
of Germany, e.g.
- Addresses
- Spell Country: Country
- Spell City: Krummennaab
- Enter Street Name: (stopped here, works)
whilst
- Addresses
- Spell Country: Deutschland
- Spell City: Krummennaab
- No Results found

Some places show up below "Deutschland", but (almost) no road is available:
- Addresses
- Spell Country: Deutschland
- Spell City: Erlangen
- Enter Street Name: (blank)
- only "Buckenhofer Weg" available of a town with more than 100000
inhabitants...
whilst
- Addresses
- Spell Country: Country
- Spell City: Erlangen
- Enter Street Name: (blank)
- lists many roads of the town

Near my home in Bayreuth is "Geseeser Weg". I choose that example
because that street name does not exist so often.
- Addresses
- Spell Country: Country
- Spell City: (Search All)
- Enter Street Name: Geseeser
- No Results found
but
- Addresses
- Spell Country: Deutschland
- Spell City: (Search All)
- Enter Strret Name: Geseeser
- lists "Geseeser Straße" and "Geseeser Weg" - select the latter
- Enter House Number: 1
- lists "Geseeser Weg Altstadt Deutschland" and "Geseeser Weg
Schnörleinsmühle". Since the part of Bayreuth is "Altstadt" (but no one
would write that down as part of the address - it is Geseeser Weg 1,
95447 Bayreuth) select that
- shows correctly on the map

Let's try an example in Czeck Republic: Dukelská Ulica in Sokolov
- Addresses
- Spell Country: Ceská Republica
- Spell City: Sokolov
- No Results found
but
- Addresses
- Spell Country: Country
- Spell City: Sokolov
- Enter Street name: Dukelská
- Enter House Number: 1
- shows correctly on the map

I know that I can use command line parameters for mkgmap:
     --country-name=Deutschland ^
     --country-abbr=DEU ^
but that's not approriate here: there are 4 different countries to deal
with. Otherwise, the parameters do their job correctly.

According to the documentation, the style file should help mkgmap
determine the country, and both my lines and points files say on their top:
include 'inc/address';

How to solve this problem? Thanks for your hints.