logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mergeroads branch - how to set street labels in style files

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Fri Oct 18 20:41:29 BST 2013

> On 12/10/13 15:07, WanMil wrote:
>> I have tried a map with Garmin style (1st=<shield>ref 2nd=name). This
>> has the disadvantage that the ref is displayed on the map but not used
>> in the routing instructions. Only the street name is given as routing
>> instruction (tested on Oregon 400 and Nüvi 1490).
>
> Sure, but that would be how official Garmin maps work too, unless we are
> missing a trick.
>
> Anyway, it seems reasonable to keep 2nd='name (ref)'; I just wanted to
> present the opposite extreme.

It's quite interesting, how Garmin maps look like.
In the end anybody can implement an own style, so it's just a minor
discussion how to set the name in the default style.

I observed that there are more shield characters apart from the ref
symbols. Do you know their functions? GPSMapEdit tells me that they hide
some parts. Maybe they are useful for our purpose?

WanMil