logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Utilizing route=bicycle relations in long-distance routing

From Minko ligfietser at online.nl on Tue Oct 8 09:25:02 BST 2013

Hi Marko,
Yes I already do those tweaks in my Openfietsmap. You can test your route when it is rendered sooner or later on Lamertus' server http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl
Every way that is part of a relation with route=bicycle gets a higher road class/speed, so when you choose to set the routing to faster route instead of shortest way, it takes a more scenic bike route.
If you use "avoid toll roads" the routing is forced to use those route=bicycle relations.

> Has anyone experimented with this kind of tweaks to routing? Would
> this
> bypass the limitation that the Garmin Edge 705 seems to ignore
> cycleways
> for the middle section of a route?

I dont know the Edge 705, what I do know is that the new Edge Touring now doesn't have a car/pedestrians settings anymore (only mtb/touring bicycle and bicycle mode), and also no options to avoid toll roads. So when users want to use my map this really sucks :(

BTW The Edge Touring is a very interesting device because it contains an official Garmin EU cycle map based on OSM!