logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Provincial capitals

From Bernhard Hiller bhil at gmx.de on Sun Sep 29 09:53:07 BST 2013

How can provincial capitals be detected by a style rule? I want to show
them at low zoom level, even if their population is rather little.

Example:
Phangnga town (South Thailand) has a population of some 10,000 people,
but it is the capital of Phangnga province (see
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/984029824). There is a relation
for the province boundary:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1908799 which has Phangnga
set as its admin_centre; admin_level = 4.

I tried in the points file:

place=* & mkgmap:admin_level4=* & cityxx!=yes {set cityxx=yes} [0x0100
level 6 continue with_actions ]

but that does not help: Phangnga city is shown at a high zoom level
only, instead of at the same zoom level with Bangkok (ok, that's not
useful, I do so temporarily to find out how things work).
I tried place=city or place=village instead of place=*, same result.

Only

place=* & is_capital=province & cityxx!=yes {set cityxx=yes} [0x0100
level 6 continue with_actions ]

works as expected. Fortunately, a mapper added the is_capital tag to all
Thai province capitals just a few days ago...

But I think using the relation is a better option. Only: how can I do that?

Tried that with:
mkgmap 2724, Java 7 u40 (64bit), Windows 7 (64bit)

Thanks for your hints.