logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] converting post codes to cities

From gbbickerton gbbickerton at yahoo.com on Tue Sep 10 18:47:50 BST 2013

I have created osm files using sed to rearrange the code point open csv files
to lat long postcode format (as shown in a post in google groups) and then
used gpsbabel to create an osm file I have entries like this
    <tag k="name" v="your postcode"/>
    <tag k="post_code" v="your postcode"/>
so I can find and replace "post_code" with "place" to get
    <tag k="name" v="your postcode"/>
    <tag k="place" v="your post code"/>
quite easily

I am using notepad2 which is not the same as notepad+ it is the only program
I have found which will cope with the 160000 + lines in the csv file
I have split this into 3 files of about 60000 lines a-g h-r s-z if anyone
would like a copy please let me know.
I will post when I have tried the above out.