logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Converting S-57/ENC -> Garmin Format?

From Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com on Sat Aug 17 08:56:07 BST 2013

On 16/08/2013 23:38, Nick Hughes wrote:
> Ok, how far along is the Java port?
>
> I converted one NOAA chart and opened the OSM.xml with JOSM.  Apologies
> if I'm a bit new to this, I'm usually developing kernel code.  It was
> just a bunch of dots representing nodes.  There were no icons for each
> node, which I suspect is correct behavior.  There was no information on
> depth soundings or buoy pathways.  So I'm suspecting that the converter
> needs enhancements in this area?

I am well into the Java port, but have not done any work in the last
couple of months owing to a house move. My first priority is the
renderer - the S57 conversion will come later (NB: s57toosm was a
subsidiary project of searender to leverage use of the look-up tables).

I recommend that only the "nodes" option is used in s57toosm as the
line/area processing is incomplete & can generate invalid OSM files (or
crash). I have since delved deeper into the encoding of S57 vector
objects & have addressed these issues in the Java code. This new work
cannot easily be ported back to s57toosm as I have completely changed
the architecture and internal map model structure in the new program.