logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] licence and copyright in overview map

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sun Jun 2 17:09:50 BST 2013

On 02/06/13 09:08, GerdP wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> okay, after a closer look to the sources I know how to extract the copyright
> now.
> I still have a few open problems:
> 1) error: TreHeader.java lines 144 to 149 override the copyright section
> which is
> already read (correctly) in line 120. I think I have to remove these lines?

Yes, those lines must be removed.

> If no "--license-file" option is used, a message is generated by
> MapBuilder.processInfo() :
> 			mapInfo.add("Map data (c) OpenStreetMap and its contributors");
> 			mapInfo.add("http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright");
> 			mapInfo.add("");
> 			mapInfo.add("This map data is made available under the Open Database
> License:");
> 			mapInfo.add("http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/");
> 			mapInfo.add("Any rights in individual contents of the database are
> licensed under the");
> 			mapInfo.add("Database Contents License:
> http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/dbcl/1.0/");
> 			mapInfo.add("");
>
> These lines make not much sense if they apear in random order.

Each piece of licence information needs to be a single line in
that case.  Thats assuming it is not mkgmap that is randomising the
lines, if that is the case, then just stop it doing that.

> Conclusion:
> a) If we extract the info from the input files:
> I prefer to keep the order of the copyright section and licence-info of each
> input file.
> If a mapper combines files with different values in these sections, each
> different "block" will
> appear once.
> Don't know if it makes sense to combine data in one img file that was
> created with differnt
> copyrights?

It may not happen often but there is nothing wrong with having
multiple copyrights applying to a map set or even an individual map.
I don't see an a need for a warning.