logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Free map data of major Rivers, Mountains, Lakes - not from OSM - suitable for overviewmap/worldmap creation

From Minko ligfietser at online.nl on Fri May 10 21:16:54 BST 2013

I think you can use JOSM to import the vector data, and save it in osm format,
or maybe use gpsbabel, I dont know exactly, only had a quick look to extract some major cities once.
But what I have seen is that there is a lot we can use on that site.

> So how can we use ESRI shapefiles with mkgmap?
> osmfilter/osmconvert? They do osm to Esri, but also the other way
> round?
>
> Due to terms of use, it's not possible to use CGPSmapper (besides I
> don#t know my way around with cgpsmapper anymore).
> A nice worldwide overviewmap, would really help in making the
> experience
> of using mgkmap created detailed maps, much more streamlined/better.
>

> Or is there already a free worldmap for Garmin around?

Hmm I only know some free ones that are not so legal and easy to find ;-)