logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Free map data of major Rivers, Mountains, Lakes - not from OSM - suitable for overviewmap/worldmap creation

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Fri May 10 20:35:23 BST 2013

I know such things exist - but not really where. OSM data is too
detailed and impossible to extract that data without getting unimportant
data.
My plan would be to create a 20-50MB big worldmap - non routable - that
people could use on their GPS device instead of the Garmin worldmap /
preinstalled routable Worldmaps.

Together with the overview maps for Desktop use, that would be perfect
addition (create a worldwide map resolution 12-17). We could use OSM for
that, but then one would need to limit to big cities (population works
well for filtering), capitals, sea/land, motorways. Other OSM data is
not really that suitable.
It would be cool to have some more data like major mountains, major
rivers, maybe major railways, (something else?).? Filtering the
important ones from OSM won't really work (also rivers should be lines,
not polygons to keep data amount small).

Any ideas on that?