logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Question for French members of the list

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at orangecorreo.es on Wed May 8 15:31:34 BST 2013

A user of my map of France reported that he could not find any address
in Paris in his nuvi. Tracking it down I found that we use the following
lines in the address file:
mkgmap:country=FRA & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level9=* { set
mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level9}' }
mkgmap:country=FRA & mkgmap:city!=* & mkgmap:admin_level8=* { set
mkgmap:city='${mkgmap:admin_level8}' }
but according with OSM wiki [1], admin_level=9 is used in France only
for some "Arrondissement" in Paris, Lyon and Marseille. I have extracted
admin_level=9 ways and relations in France and those "Arrondissement"
are named "1re, 2e, 3e,... arrondissement", which I don't know if is
really used/useful when looking for an address in these cities or if
different arrondissements can have streets with the same name.
Looking at the admin_level=9 data in France, there are 93 (for a total
of 156) relations tagged as type=boundary,
boundary=religious_administration, admin_level=9 which have nothing to
do with admin boundaries, but are caught by the fist rule above,
avoiding the use of the admin_level=8 information for those areas.
So, the question is, do you think we must keep the admin_level9 line in
the address file or remove it? I vote for the second, but would like to
know the opinion of someone who knows better the administrative
organization of France.

[1]http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#admin_level