logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap style: resolutuion and level vs. GARMIN device: zoom and map-detail settings

From Franco Bez franco.bez at web.de on Fri Apr 19 05:48:36 BST 2013

Hi all,

I wonder how these things are connected:

On one hand we have the style settings in mkgamp. resolution and level.

On the other hand we have the GARMIN device.
Here we may use the + and - buttons to set the zoom level, and  on the
Nüvi in Settings - map - "map detail" , on the Oregon in Settings - map
- "advanced map setup" - detail, we have the detail level.
On the Nüvi 40 there are only 3 detail levels (less - normal - more),
while the Oregon has 5 detail levels (least - less - normal - more - most).

Does anyone know these settings are connected ?

I suspect that the GARMIN device calculates some value based on the zoom
and detail level, and then searches the gmapsupp.img for objects with a
matching resolution setting. But this is merely a guess.

Ciao,
  Franco