logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with bounds_*.zip

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Tue Apr 9 19:09:13 BST 2013

> Hi Bernd,
>

> Bernd Weigelt wrote
>> Sorry to bring this old thread up, but i had this problem again.
>>
>> 'name-tag-list=name:de,name,int_name' in $STYLE/options didn't work
>> got something like this 'Sh??rii Lnkaa' instead of 'Sri Lanka'
>>
>> 'name-tag-list=name:de,name,int_name' in '-c map.conf' work
>> got 'Sri Lanka'
>>
>> my maps are build with latin1 and mkgmap v2562 and before
>
> I think the value is evaluated now, but maybe it is not used everywhere. If
> I got this right,
> some routines evaluate only the option parameter, not the value in the
> style.
>
> Gerd

Yes, there seem to be two places where mkgmap parameters/options are
handled.
1. The config file or mkgmap parameters. They are loaded directly when
mkgmap starts.
2. The options files in the style system. These options are loaded and
used only by the style itself.

So you have two places where you can define the name-tag-list parameter
and both places seem to have their own distinct area in mkgmap where the
parameter is used.

This is very irritating for the user. I guess this option system evolved
due to historical reasons.

I see two options to make this point more clear:
1. Merge the options of the style file at the very beginning of mkgmap
so that all mkgmap sources can uses the same set of options.
2. Completely remove the options handling in the style system and use
mkgmap parameters/config file only.

Any objections to 1. or 2.? Maybe there are reasons to have these two
distinct option handlings?

WanMil