logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Configuration for overview map

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Apr 6 11:06:15 BST 2013

Hi Thorsten,

> > The overview map is only meant for Mapsource and Basecamp.
> > The GPS has its own basic map.
>
> Hm, for Mapsource, at least for me, I don't see performance problems
> even without an overview map. But the basic map of old Garmin devices are
> next to useless or, on newer devices, breaks the OSM maps, since partiell
> data of this maps are always shown on top of all maps if you don't disable
> them.

I think the only improvement is that don't see an empty rectangle in MapSource or Basecamp
when you open a map for the first time. I don't think that it has any impact on performance.
Reg. the problems on the device: Do you see a possible solution for that in mkgmap?

> I'm afraid on a device it is not possible to have different tiles for each
> resolution? Bigger tiles if you zoom out would make it much more faster
> and useable, too.
In fact the structure in the img file is like that. A single tile is devided into sub divisions,
typically the higher the resolution, the more sub divisions are created.
Maybe the algorithm that calculates the needed sub divisions might be improved,
in some cases mkgmap creates deeply nested structures, e.g. when two equal large polygons
are saved.

> But one issue I see with my overview map: I only show motorways as lines.
> But there are big holes in the lines. If I zoom in, this holes vanish.
> Any idea what could be the reason for this?

Make sure to use r2555 or higher.
If you configure the program to show only the basemap (Ctrl+G), you should not see this effect
when zooming in, else either the data is missing on the lowest level or you found another error.
In the latter case, please provide a link to the img file(s)