logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] locator rules and transparent maps

From littlehelper berny.moser at gmx.at on Mon Apr 1 12:47:23 BST 2013

littlehelper wrote
> I've observed a similar behaviour in BaseCamp. I don't know why the
> parameter '--transparent' does not what it is expected to do, but the
> background with type '0x4b' is always shown in BaseCamp regardless if the
> parameter is set or not.
> Is this caused due to BaseCamp behaviour or due to a possible bug in
> mkgmap?

I've tried a lot and I can say defenitely YES, this is due to BaseCamp.

According to GMapTool, mkgmap applies the transparent flag to '*.img' files
correctly. This is true for a map created with --tdbfile to show in BaseCamp
and it is true for maps built with --gmapsupp. In both cases transparent
maps are visible 'above' the basemap (higher --draw-priority assumed) and
are transparent like expected.

Only if I use the transparent map as the only visible layer in BaseCamp or
on the GPS device, BaseCamp and the GPS device insert a surrounding
background. So this - I would say undesired fact - is due to Garmin and NOT
due to mkgmap.

In short: mkgmap works espacially well regarding the --transparent option,
even if 'mkgmap:*' tags are used.

Greetings