logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview map for Africa

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Thu Mar 28 13:03:18 GMT 2013

> Gerd wrote:
>> yes, that is caused by a missing if statement:
>> if (!finfo.isImg())
>> return;
>
> Thanks,
>
> And how about points, like big cities, country and sea names, are they copied too to the overview map?
> I think a special style file for generating the overview map is better.
> If possible with a few zoomlevels, like Felix suggested. If no such style is present, mkgmap will look at the items in the lowest level that is present, like the patch now does.

What about the following ideas:

1. Retrieve the data from the highest instead of the lowest level. The
lowest level often contains fragmentary data, e.g. have a look a the
boundaries in your example image
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/file/n5754697/africa_overview.png
The data could be merged so that long ways are created that do not fall
through the filters (DouglasPeucker etc.). The MapReader.linesForLevel
and other methods must have filters that returns only selected garmin id
types.

2. Use a separate overview style file and fetch the Garmin ids out of
it. Then use these Garmin ids to build the overview map. I think the
overview map should be configurable (one likes to see motorways, others
like to see rivers etc.)
Maybe it would also be possible to add a special overview statement or
use special overview levels in the normal style files to achieve the same.

3. In case --precomp-sea parameter is set the data from an additional
file in the precompiled sea folder is used.

WanMil