logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Overview map for Africa

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Mar 26 10:15:50 GMT 2013

I don't really know why it stopped, but to what I know, there was one
main problem to make it useful:

Only one level in the overview map (the lowest resolution), and
therefore no way to make it really useful.
The overview map needs to have several levels too, and the very least
needed is the ability to specify which resolution goes into the overview
map, and which into the main map.

BTW: I don't know what resolution is used in your 5MB overview map. If
that is resolution 16, it's kinda okay. If that is resolution 14 - it's
not okay, because an overview map consisting of resolution 12,14,16
would then simply be too big to fit into one tile. Also depending if you
have a detailed basemap on your GPS, or not (usually European GPS
devices have detailed Europe basemap, rest of the world less detailed.
American have America more detailed, and so on. While the newer
generation have such a detailled basemap, that clearly resolution 18
would best be used in the overview map too, and the detailed (mkgmap)
map starting only at resolution 19. Overall much heavier filtered/non
OSM data would be better suited for an overview map, I assume.

e.g. the following could be used in the options file:

# The levels specification for this style
#
levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:20, 3:19, 4:18

# the level specification for the overview map
#
overviewmap_levels = 0:16, 1:14, 2:12

On 26.03.2013 10:56, GerdP wrote:
> Minko-2 wrote
>> If I look at your overviewmap the coastline seems still very detailed.
>> How many tiles is this overview map (just one?).
>> Is it possible to use another shape for the continent(s) or maybe a
>> filtered
>> osm coastline that throws away all the small details like islands and
>> stuff?
>>
>> Is it possible to update this branch version so we can experiment a bit
>> with the overview map?
> It is one tile with < 5 Mb.
> The branch is r1666 and t1659 was merged with trunk, so I can try to merge
> current trunk with the old code, but first I'd like to know why development
> was stopped.
>
> Gerd
>

> --

keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org