logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] unicode

From Robert Joop 8500547528183gmap at rainbow.in-berlin.de on Tue Feb 26 22:33:44 GMT 2013

While reading the code, I stumbled upon code such as
  if ("unicode".equals(charset))
in src/uk/me/parabola/imgfmt/app/labelenc/CodeFunctions.java.
mkgmap --help=options does not mention this option, but there’s a line
  #OSMDATA = --charset=unicode localtest/osm/czech_test.osm
in the Makefile.

So I tried this option, but what I got looks like all characters
transliterated to just ASCII.
Oops?

I guess what I actually want to ask: since we’ve seen that newer
devices have a rich character repertoire containing latin based, greek,
cyrillic and arabic, I wonder whether it is only possible to access them
via code pages, limiting us to a subset every time.
Do you know whether there’s unicode support in recent devices?

rj