logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] multi-word street search

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Feb 26 05:50:25 GMT 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:55:32PM +0200, Rich wrote:
>it might require implementing a list of "street" names for each
>country.
>in many cases for streets named after some person people would want to
>refer to it by both first and last name, but "street" wouldn't be
>useful at all

This sounds like full-text search (inverted index). Each word in the
street name would become an index entry.

If we have street names "Calle b c" (id 1) and "Calle c d" (id 2) then
we would have index entries like this:

Calle -> 1
Calle -> 2
b -> 1
c -> 1
c -> 2
d -> 2

In full-text search, common words such as 'a' or 'the' are often treated
as useless garbage and thrown away both when indexing and when
searching. These words are commonly referred to as stop-words. mkgmap
could implement a stop-word list in country-specific rules, similar to
how we set the flags for formatting addresses. This list could be
something like 'Street,St,Ave,Lane' for English-speaking countries.

As far as I understand, mkgmap could easily do this splitting and
stop-word implementation.

Do Garmin devices implement multi-word street search? What happens if
the user types "Main Street"? Will it search for either Main or Street,
or both?

	Marko