logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] multi-word street search

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Mon Feb 25 20:43:21 GMT 2013

> two forms - long one:
>
> Miroslawa Dudka
>
> or short one:
>
> Dudka
>
> there is no standard for tagging such names in OSM.
>
> Problem is that Garmin/Mapsource search function is matching names from
> the beginning of the string, so if I enter "Dudka" it will find all
> streets named "Dudka" but not "Miroslawa Dutka".
>
> Do you have any idea how can I deal with such issue?

There is no simple answer to this at the moment.

I do plan to implement the possibility of adding names
to the index where searching starts in the middle of the
string.

This is a problem with languages where the word for street is
typically at the beginning of the name, such as french.

The case for Poland is a bit different if I understand correctly
in that you would want to search for both "Miroslawa Dutka"
and just "Dutka"?

Also if there is no standard for tagging them, and no way of
recognising them, then how would mkgmap know that it should treat
them specially?

Best wishes
..Steve