logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Weekend in Essen

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Fri Feb 8 14:42:17 GMT 2013

Hi

I've just posted a thank you to those that organised and supported
the event last weekend on the news section of the web site and
I'd like to repeat those thanks here. It was very useful and
great fun!

See: http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/news/2013/02/08/weekend-in-essen

Here are some of the discussions/requests, which may provide
someone with an idea of something that they could do.

- Split maps along country borders. This would allow maps to be fully
   customised to country conventions. I'd always thought of this being
   a splitter function and it would be ideal to perform it there, but
   it could perhaps be done using the multi-polygon code.

- Newer features such as lane assist and speed limits. It would be
   worthwhile looking into this as there is perhaps something
   that we could do that has enough coverage in OSM, but on the
   whole it is difficult to say how if or when such things could be
   developed, since development time is limited even for things that
   we already know how to do, such as house numbers.

- Doing something with values that are separated with ';'. This is
   clearly desirable, but knowing what exactly to do is less clear.
   I think it would have to be enabled on a tag-by-tag basis.

- There was a question about how include files in the style work
   which I will make a separate post on.

..Steve