logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] shapes with holes

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Jan 29 19:55:37 GMT 2013

WanMil wrote
> I think it is not a good idea to focus on the 250 nodes limit. This
> creates an implicit rule about the further processing after the
> multipolygon has been calculated. And that will fail at some time in
> future. (e.g. the java Area object is also used in the AreaClipper)
>
> Without changing the splitting with the java Area object you might also
> change the cutting procedure a little bit. Instead of completely
> surrounding the inner polygons you might create singular polygons
> without holes by partly surrounding the inner polygons. The algorithm
> should not too complex if you have the information about the shortest
> distances. I have implemented a similar algorithm a long time ago when I
> tried a similar approach. But I abandoned because the calculations of
> the shortest distances took much too long (I used a visibility graph
> calculated by an external library).
>
> This change makes it possible to keep the java Area calculations until
> we find a good replacement.

I wanted to implement that, but I did not find an efficient way to calculate
equally sized areas. If I just cut somewhere it is likely to have again
small
stripes. That's why I think that we should not use java Area for this, but
I agree that a replacement isn't hard to find.
Looks so easy and is so complicated ;-)