logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] coastline

From RheinSkipper rheinskipper1000 at gmx.de on Fri Jan 25 14:40:16 GMT 2013

> You need to install quite sime C, C++ and java libraries and binaries.
> So without root access, it will be difficult, because you have to
recompile
> everything and install it in your home directory.
>
> The process is in short:
>
> - get current planet file or update your local copy
> - osmcoastline -i -f -p land -o coastline.db  planetfile.osm.pbf
>   (if return value is 0 or 1, continue, else abort and fix the errors
first)
> - ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" land_polygons.shp coastline.db land_polygons
> - mkgmap_sea_generator land_polygons.shp WGS84 sea-$NEXT
>   (mkgmap_sea_generator is a script calling the mkgmap java function)
>
> sea-$NEXT contains now the new precomp sea data.

I was playing around with ogr2ogr (and ogr2osm) on my Windows machine a
while ago. So I know how complicated and time consuming it is to set up gdal
based things. Providing precompiled sea might be a task for someone who is
more familiar with this.

Is http://www.navmaps.eu/wanmil/ the only source available for precompiled
sea or does someone have a more recent one?