logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Upper / lower case names

From Wolfgang Hammel wolfgang.hammel at gmx.de on Tue Jan 22 12:59:55 GMT 2013

Hi,

I was observing that that capitalized names on eg. buildings like "VW"
etc. show up in upper and lower case on my Oregon 550.
So I played around and tried some different combinations of upper /
lower case names.

Here is the outcome on the Oregon:

"name"         "name"
in OSM     ->  on Oregon 550

"ABC"      ->  "Abc"
"ABC D"    ->  "Abc D"
"ABCd"     ->  "ABCd"
"ABC De"   ->  "ABC De"
"ABC d"    ->  "ABC d"
"ABC DE"   ->  "Abc De"
"ABC dE"   ->  "ABC dE"

So it seems as if when there were only upper case letters in a name, the
name shown on the GPS device is modified such that only the first letter
of each word stays uppercase. If there is a least one lower case letter
in the name it is shown as it was originally in the OSM-data.

Is this a firmware "feature" of the Oregon or is this depending on the
map-generation via mkgmap?

Command line for mkgmap was

java -Xmx1300M -ea -jar mkgmap.jar --latin1 --lower-case ...

however, omitting the --lower-case option doesn't change the outcome.

Anyhow, mkgmap is a great software, Thanks.

Wolfgang