logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Map size increase using osmupdate vs download

From Eric Fernandez zeb at zebulon.org.uk on Thu Jan 17 13:31:26 GMT 2013

Hi,

I am unsure this is the best place to post this, but have a question
regarding creating maps with osm maps updated with osmupdate. I
usually start from an .osm.pbf map downloaded from Geofabrik, and in
order to avoid downloading it again, I use osmupdate to maintain it
(or a converted .o5m version of it) up to date. I noticed that my maps
were becoming bigger and bigger, days after days, but *bigger than a
plain redownload* of the map on Geofabrik.
1. Is this normal? Does osmupdate just append the changelog to the
original file?
2. mkgmap-produced maps become significantly bigger too: is it normal too?
3. If the changelog is just appended to the map, is there a way to
rebuild it from scratch to get the same map than on Geofabrik?

Thanks for your help.
Eric