logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Question reg. precompiled bounds

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sat Jan 12 15:55:24 GMT 2013

> Hi,
>
> the wiki says that I have two alternatives to extract boundary data from
> an OSM file, either osmfilter: "fast, resulting files contains some unused
> stuff that eats memory when precompiling bounds" or osmosis: "slow".
> What about a combination of both (first osmconvert, than use osmosis to
> filter the output of osmconvert) ?
>
> Ciao,
> Gerd

I tried that once but observed problems.

osmconvert/osmfilter with parameter --drop-author generates pbfs that
cannot be read with osmosis
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Osmconvert#PBF_seems_to_be_incorrect_with_--drop-author).
Don't know if that' still the case. Anyhow one could use osmconvert
without --drop-author. I also tried that but I did have another problem
I don't remember what thas was.

The unused stuff I saw were subrelations of type=collection. There is a
warning in the wiki that they shouldn't be used so I don't know if its
usage has dropped.

Testing the double filter osmfilter/osmosis would be a good thing to see
how much stuff is really superfluos when using osmfilter only.

WanMil