logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] There is not enough room in a single garmin map for all the input data

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sun Dec 30 17:27:41 GMT 2012

> GerdP wrote
>> Another strange observation: Although my input file doesn't contain a
>> single way with highway=*
>> I see many coord objects with a highwayCount > 1, which in turn means
>> these coords are preserved by
>> the removeShortArcsByMergingNodes() method. I assume this is explained by
>> the fact that the
>> precompiled sea polygons contain the edges of the grid, so many points
>> share the same coords although
>> they are not on a highway. In short: the name highwayCount is missleading.
>
> No, it's worse: The sea generator adds one sea polygon and one land polygon,
> both share
> all (!) points that are one the coast line. All these points are later
> preserved in the
> removeShortArcsByMergingNodes() method. So, the coast line is saved very
> detailed for
> each resolution.
> I am pretty sure this is not intended ?
>
> Gerd

Just in case Steves check shows that the OSMHandler handling is ok we
have the question if we can improve the sea polygon handling.

My first idea is that the sea and the land polygon might do not share
Coords. So they use their own Coord instances which means that
highwayCount probably will not be larger than 1 and the filters can do
their job. But we must ensure that the filters do exactly the same job
for the land and the sea polygon and I doubt that this will happen
without additional hints for the filter.

But I guess the problem will occur not only with land/sea polygons but
also for each other neighboured polygon? For example if a natural=scrub
polygon shares one side with natural=wood polygon this side - no matter
how many points are shared - will never be simplified?

WanMil