logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Polygons deformed

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Dec 22 09:00:02 GMT 2012

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 09:47:23AM +0100, --enrico wrote:
>Is a pity that we can not solve this problem. When drawing in OSM I
>spend a lot of time to trace the building as closely as possible but
>then I can not see in MapSource.

It is a limitation of the Garmin map format that is supported by mkgmap.
The map resolution is something like 5 meters, depending on the
latitude.

>It seems strange we can not do anything ...

One thing that mkgmap could do better is to suppress bogus messages
about small roundabouts 'going in wrong direction' when they have been
split to multiple segments due to (bus) route relations.

OsmAnd on an Android device could work for some needs. You have a
variety of screen sizes, but you have to be careful about the GPS
accuracy. Luckily, the Xperia Active hardware has been rather good value
for money for me. Long-distance offline routing is not yet quite there
and there can be some minor glitches.

Best regards,

	Marko