logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter "fine tuning"

From Henning Scholland osm at aighes.de on Wed Dec 19 20:13:43 GMT 2012

Am 19.12.2012 20:52, schrieb GerdP:
> Henning Scholland wrote
>>> What do you think?
>> Sounds good. Typical the tag-list wont change very often, only if you
>> change your style or then mkgmap changes default tags, so it should be
>> possible to generate such a list manually. First point isn't hard,
>> because the user did this active and can create a new list. If
>> mkgmap-behavior changes, the user doesn't mind it and this could lead to
>> problems. So it would be best, to did this everytime splitter runs. But
>> this could also be managed seperate in script.
>>
>> First call mkgmap.jar --create-tag-list, then splitter and mkgmap as
>> usual.
> I just tried a hard coded version of this and the effect is not promising:
> files are only 4 % smaller, but runtime increased with o5m and decreased
> with pbf output.
> All changes are small, so forget that idea.
I think it depends on how it should be coded. If you just skip tags, the
benefit isn't huge in compressed output. There would be a benefit, if
everything is skiped, if it contains a tag. Eg. remove complete
landuse=*, natural=* and so on.

But this could also be done with osmfilter or osmosis. So I would agree
to forget that idea.

Henning