logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter "fine tuning"

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Dec 19 16:15:51 GMT 2012

Hi all,

some time ago we discussed whether splitter could somehow exchange
information with mkgmap. I think the idea was that mkgmap
(or the style system) can remove many or all nodes from a tile
which leads to problems.
I assume this problem is solved with the new split algorithm?
If not: Splitter writes the file densities-out.txt, which contains the
node counters. It can also read that file, and it would not be very
difficult
to manipulate the counters somehow.

I stll see one option to improve splitter throughput:
Before reading any osm file, mkgmap creates a list of all tag keys
which are needed (hard coded keys and those from the style files).
All other tags are simply ignored when reading OSM data to save memory.
If we would give this list to splitter we could probably save a lot of
processing time when splitter ignores these tags as well.
On the other hand, you have to execute splitter again
if you change a style.

What do you think?