logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] British National Grid and Latitude/Longitude

From Roger Calvert roger at rogercalvert.me.uk on Thu Dec 13 10:28:35 GMT 2012

_British National Grid__
_
Some time ago I published an OSM format file for the British National
Grid, as printed on Ordnance Survey maps.

I have now updated this. There are two main changes:
     1. The Way and Node IDs are now well out of the range of Open
Street Map IDs, so the file can be processed simultaneously with other
source files;
     2. By omitting roughly 50% of internal nodes, and some formatting
changes, the (uncompressed) file size is reduced from about 73MB to
about 20MB for the same coverage. This has negligible effect on the
final output, since the grid lines are very close to straight lines over
a few kilometres.

This file may be downloaded from http://www.rogercalvert.me.uk/OSM/GBGrid.

_Latitude and Longitude_

In a similar manner, I have generated a file of lines of Latitude and
Longitude. But since these are world wide, rather than limited to Great
Britain, I have put a generator on line at
http://www.rogercalvert.me.uk/OSM/LatLong
<http://www.rogercalvert.me.uk/OSM/LAtLong>. A file will be generated in
real time and downloaded for any (sensible) range of coordinates. For
performance reasons, I have limited the download size to 10MB (which is
enough to cover mainland Great Britain), but several downloads may be
used to cover a larger region.

Please let me know of any problems you encounter in accessing or using
these.

Roger

Roger Calvert