logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter r254

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Dec 11 13:23:57 GMT 2012

Well, I just ran a couple of tests with it. On france.osm.pbf splitting
takes 20minutes with --keep-complete, vs 12 minutes with --overlap=4000.
On the other hand, mkgmap needs about 4 minutes less (albeit consuming
more memory). Currently on France and a few other countries, the added
memory consumption means, I have to use 3 processes for mkgmap instead
of 4 (the comparison times were with 3) - I'll spec up to 10GB RAM,
which should then be enough for 4 processes parallel. Overall using
keep-complete instead of overlap=4000, will addup a bit of time, but not
much - as mkgmap runs a bit quicker (of course compared to overlap=2000,
mkgmap runs not much quicker, as the bigger the overlap, the bigger the
time increase for mkgmap)

For other countries results were similar.

The new algo to avoid very small tiles is working great. France.osm.pbf
from Geofabrik should lock up / BSOD any Garmin GPS devices any more.