logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Options

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Mon Dec 10 11:32:22 GMT 2012

Hi WanMil

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm building up a good picture of how
many of the options are used now.

Just a couple of points.

> [ --family-id , --family-name etc ]
> Of course keep them. But it would be helpful if at least the wiki gives
> some hints where the different values are used (screenshots of Basecamp,
> GPS etc.). When starting with mkgmap the exact meaning of the options is
> not obvious.

That is a good idea. I remember seeing such a thing a while back,
probably for cgpsmapper, but we use the same or similar terms I think.

> --precomp-sea=directoryname
> --coastlinefile=filename[,filename]
> --generate-sea[=ValueList]
> I don't see how a coastlinefile should be autodetected. And it is used
> by all threads so the detection must be performed before the first real
> osm file is read. Removing this option is bad for all who needs the
> latest changes to coastlines. precomp-sea depends on actual data at
> openstreetmapdata.org and at the moment the data on this site is six
> weeks old. Generating sea from the OSM input data is error prone but easy.
> I don't like the very long list of possible generate-sea options. I
> think we should use either one option for all (which means move
> coastlinefile and precomp-sea to a generate-sea option) or use a
> separate mkgmap option for each generate-sea option.
>
> In the end I don't mind removing any of the generate-sea functionality
> if that makes it easier.

Thanks for the explanation, If there is no option that is clearly
superior in all cases, then there is no problem in having more than
one, it just falls to documentation to explain which one to use in
which case.

What sub-options to generate-sea does everyone use? Are the defaults
most likely to result in an un-flooded map or does it depend too much
on which part of the world you are creating a map for?

..Steve