logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter maximum tile size

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Dec 5 12:48:28 GMT 2012

Henning Scholland wrote
> Hmm...for splitter my case 1 and 2 seems to be the same. He don't know
> what world continues on the other side of 180/-180.
>
> I think the density-map of splitter is like a table and each field
> contains the node-density for n° x n°. Then splitter adds them to eg. 1°
> x 1°-Tiles. If there is a density of zero, remove this tile. I don't
> know if 1° x 1° is a good value, it's just an example. It should be big
> enough, that also deserts have a density > 0.
>
> Splitter can now create a simple bounding polygon. This wont be perfect,
> but it's a starting-point. Also splitter should ask the user to improve
> the poly-file for better results.

Yes, this is more or less what the trim function does in r202.
I do also think that we need trimming in such a case, but I think
we risk to create holes in areas that were covered by the
unknown polygon.

Maybe it will work if we allow to have holes that are bigger than
- maybe - 1° x 1° (have to find a reasonable value).