logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter maximum tile size

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Fri Nov 30 17:18:02 GMT 2012

> Thorsten Kukuk wrote
>>>
>>> No, there is no limit for the maximum tiles size for now. Thanks for the
>>> hint.
>>> What is the limit? I guess it is not a constant, but depends on
>>> resolution
>>> and other
>>> values? Unfortunately the test data is gone and I didn't download it.
>>
>> If you want to look at the problem, I can try to regenerate the
>> data again.
>
> I am not sure if the problem has to be solved in splitter or in mkgmap.
> Anyway, please try to reproduce it.
> I also like to know why mkgmap has problems with tiles that contain only
> very few nodes. Or is it the gps device that has problems?
>
> Gerd

I played a little bit with a small testfile how large a tile can be. The
attached test file has the maximum size which works for me:
  <bounds minlat="0.0" minlon="0.0" maxlat="85.0" maxlon="179.98"/>
Larger bounds cannot be put into a single tile.

For large tiles mkgmap requires much memory problem if the bounds
parameter is set. They need to be completely loaded with a high memory
consumption.

I don't know if there is a hard limit for the tile bounds size. Maybe
using some limits in splitter for the maximum latitude and maximum
longitude size would remove some problems, e.g. max lat = 20, max long = 20.

WanMil