logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter r250 and open questions reg. bounding polygon

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Fri Nov 30 09:04:31 GMT 2012

Hi all,

r250 fixes a performance issue that shows up if you use --keep-complete in
combination with a max-areas value which is lower than the actual number of
tiles (including the "pseudo-tiles").

Open problems/questions regarding complex bounding polygons:
r247 uses such a polygon without problems, but it doesn't try to fit the
tiles into the polygon. r248 and above always try to fit the tiles into the
polygon and they stop if that
is too difficult. I think it would be better to use a compromise:
- try to fit into the polygon, if that isn't possible, use it only to "blank
out" areas outside of the polygon
and allow tiles to (heavily) overlap the polygon. In such a case a warning
message should be issued and the resulting shape of the tiles could be
output to a file, e.g. areas.poly. (I think that is what Felix suggested?)
An alternative would be to use use a new parameter: --fit-into-polygon=true
would tell splitter that
the user does not want the result if it doesn't fit into the polygon, so it
is allowed to stop with an error message if that's not possible.

Other ideas?