logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address index question

From Henning Scholland osm at aighes.de on Thu Nov 29 13:20:29 GMT 2012

Am 29.11.2012 13:14, schrieb Felix Hartmann:
>>>        --add-pois-to-areas \
>> R 8. But could be considered to be just making it work in the Garmin
>> format. Are there any downsides?
> Well it could lead to performance impact on the GPS device. For someone
> who doesn't need POI search, this option would be bad. I would say
> making it default, and allowing to switch it off would be better though.
In general I agree to you, but not in this case. If you wont create a
POI-Index, then you also wont adress POI in your points-file and then no
one of these created points where used for creating the map. I don't
know how much performance it coast, but I think not so much. So turning
this off wont be necessary.

As already mentioned in "Happy-Birthday"-Mail. For beginners it would be
good to have only some options set and get a working map. Eg. --routing
--address-index --poi-index --gampsupp --mapsource --style=
--mapname=... data.osm and then mkgmap does everything, this seems to be
necessary for this. All other options could be as is for experts.

Henning