logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address index question

From Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net on Sat Nov 24 02:08:41 GMT 2012

i'm shifting from a consumer of Dave Hansen's roll ups of the Lambertus
maps to generating specific maps on my
own with mkgmap. the first one i generated looks good, but i'm trying to
sort out correct population of the
address index.

i downloaded an extract from osm via xapi, and ran mkgmap with these
parameters:

$ java -jar ../mkgmap/mkgmap-r2379/mkgmap.jar
capitaldistrict-2012-11-23.osm  --index --gmapsupp

i got a bunch of errors which look like complaints about malformed data
in osm, which i'll go look at and
clean up later (an example: SEVERE (RoadNetwork):
capitaldistrict-2012-11-23.osm: Road (South Lake Avenue,
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/5579946) contains zero length
arc at http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=42.65485&mlon=-73.78075&zoom=17)

i installed the map on my nuvi 255w. the map looks good, although i
haven't gone out and tried to route
with it yet. my main interest right now is getting a properly populated
address index, and it doesn't seem to
have one.

i went back and reviewed the .osm file and verified that there are POIs
in it with what appear to be properly
populated addr: fields.

are there any specific requirements for OSM data to get the address
index populated properly?
admin_boundary data perhaps? (this would be an issue in the US where
address data doesn't usually
match up well with admin_boundaries.)

thanks,
    richard