logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Altitude Units for Contours

From Roger Calvert roger at rogercalvert.me.uk on Fri Nov 16 15:54:39 GMT 2012

On 16/11/2012 15:14, michael lohr wrote:
> i got it from the mkgmap default style. i never thought much about it,
> because it just worked. but i'm wondering now why the converion is
> necessary at all, because the altitude is written as the name of the
> contour line. aren't names just strings?
I don't think so - according to the default contours_ft style, "#
Contours take their name from the elevation setting.". But their names
change according to 'preferences/units' in MapSource. For example, in
changing from metres to feet, '250' changes to '820' and the mouseover
name changes from '250 m' to '820 ft'. I imagine the same will apply on
the GPS unit, but it doesn't seem to happen for peaks. Also, if the
'ele' value of a contour is non-numeric, MapSource complains about it.

Roger