logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Inconsistent search function

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at orangecorreo.es on Sat Nov 10 11:07:12 GMT 2012

An user of my Central America & Carib map [1] reported some problems
searching for POI's. I've been testing it and found some inconsistency
in the way search function works between MapSource/BaseCamp, Legend HCx
and nuvi 300.
MapSource: if I search for a POI called "La Bodeguita" (under all POI or
Food & Drink categories) it finds La Bodeguita [2] and La Bodeguita del
Medio [3] (no information about city/country is displayed). If I search
for a POI called "Bar2", it finds "Bar2 del Malecon" [4] (no information
about city/country is displayed). Under the City tab, if I introduce "C"
in country box, the following countries are displayed: Cayman Islands
(CYM), COL (Colombia), Colombia (COL), Costa Rica (CRI), Country, CRI
(Costa Rica), CUB (Cuba), Cuba (CUB), CYM (Cayman Islands).
BaseCamp: searching for "La Bodeguita" returns: La Bodeguita del Medio,
Ciudad de la Habana, CUB and La Bodeguita, DOM. Bar2 returns Bar2 del
Malecon, Ciudad de la Habana, CUB.
HCx: If I search for "La Bodeguita", only La Bodeguita is found (no
city/country). Searching for Bar2, it returns "Bar2 del Malecon, Ciudad
de la Habana".
nuvi 300: it finds: La Bodeguita del Medio, Ciudad de la Habana; La
Bodeguita (no city/country); Bar2 del Malecon, Ciudad de la Habana.
If I try to find an address, and type "C" at the "Spell country" prompt,
only Costa Rica and Country can be found.
Results are the same with MapSource or mkgmap generated gmapsupp. None
of the objects found has any is_in:* or addr:* information, so
city/country must be gathered from admin boundaries. I use default
mkgmap:place rules in my style. Map is generated with the following
options (among others): --bounds=bounds --latin1 --code-page=1252
--area-name=$MAPA --family-name="OpenStreetMap $MAPA"
--series-name="OSM-$MAPA" --index --road-name-pois=0x640a
--add-pois-to-areas --link-pois-to-ways --location-autofill=is_in
($MAPA=Central America)
Any idea why these differences happen and how to fix them? Why some
POI/Countries are not found?

[1] http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/OpenStreetMap_Central-America.exe
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/596635668
[3] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/355338535