logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter that generates problem list

From Henning Scholland osm at aighes.de on Wed Nov 7 18:19:00 GMT 2012

Am 07.11.2012 19:06, schrieb WanMil:
>> The profiling data shows that the CPU is most of the time
>> busy with the pbf read and write routines, so I doubt that your disk
>> is the bottleneck.
>   From my experience profiling is a very time consuming (=> CPU
> consuming) task. So could it also be that the disk is not the bottleneck
> while you profile the application but it is the bottleneck while you
> don't profile it? (It's just a guess...)
If I believe in TaskManager, splitter takes 17% CPU-usage. This means
one core is completly busy.

HDD as bottleneck was only meant in general. I'm running splitter and
mkgmap (and all input and output) on a SSD. But I think this is not
typical. Maybe it would increase performance, if max-area keep smaller
and splitter runs multiple times. E.g. I run two splitter with
max-area=512. Will try this.

I don't know much about java, but would be possible, that splitter
detects that and runs several instances automatical? Eg. read max-heap,
max-cpu-cores, number of tiles, size of input.

Henning