logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Still problems with lakes

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Sep 20 10:39:20 BST 2012

Hi Henning,

yes, I think looking at the tags is needed and the most promising approach.
This was one of the reasons why I stopped: Up to now, splitter doesn't contain much
logic regarding the tags, most of that is only in mkgmap. The same goes for the handling of multi-polygon-relations.
I did not want to double all the program code, and I did not want to invent completely new code. Splitter and mkgmap use
totally different data structures, so it is not easy to share code.

Regarding the memory needs: afaik splitter r200 is able to split europe on a 32 bit system (with a max. heap of about 1.5 GB)
with three or four read passes (plus one for the calc. of the areas.list) . Planet will require about 10 or more passes.
On 64 bit system with eg 15 GB available heap I guess that even planet can be done in two or three passes.
I think these are already gigantic requirements, so I hate the idea of adding anything that could double these needs, not talking
about a factor of 10.

Ciao,
Gerd