logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Suggestion for more flexibility in locator part of mkgmap

From IrlJIdel donal.diamond at gmail.com on Tue Sep 18 13:55:35 BST 2012

WanMil wrote
> How should mkgmap assign the mkgmap:place:* tags? Should it use the
> nearest algorithm? In this case isn't it rather the same like using
> location-autofill=nearest?
>
> Can you please give a real example in which this helps? I want to
> understand the idea.
>
> WanMil

Currently the locator only handles administrative boundary polygons. It
would be more flexible if it also supported place polygons.

eg We have a place=village area defined   for Ballina village.  An admin
relation does not exist here as the village is not an administrative area in
its own right.

Ballina swimming pool http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/510911604  is
being assigned the address

Ballina Outdoor Swimming Pool
Roolagh, County Tipperary, Ireland

Roolagh is a place=locality node outside the village boundary:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/566834144

If mkgmap Locator also supported place polygons we woudl be able to
correctly assign the village name to addresses.