logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] New clip box functionality for splitter

From Geoff Sherlock geoffrey_sherlock at btinternet.com on Sun Sep 16 17:08:58 BST 2012

More thoughts to greatly simplify the clipping:

As WanMil suggested all nodes would have to be stored along with a flag to
show if it initially resides inside or outside the clip box.

Each way will then be tested in turn against the min longitude, max
longitude, min latitude, max latitude.

Taking the min longitude test as an example:
If a way goes from inside the clip box (>= min longitude) then goes outside
and remains outside, the way will be clipped to min longitude.
When it goes inside to outside and returns inside (>= min longitude) no clip
occurs, and nodes between are flagged to reside inside the clip box.
If a way goes from outside clip box then goes inside and remains inside,
the way will be clipped to min longitude.
When it goes from outside to inside and returns outside it will need to be
determined if the way describes a line or a polygon: if a line it is
clipped, if a polygon nodes in the way outside will be flagged to reside
inside the clip box

Then similar is done for the other clip lines.

This would allow breathing of the clip box to to take into account highways,
rivers etc, which go outside and return into the clip box. And get rid of
complex polygon clipping entirely.

Any thoughts?

WanMil, I will look at the bounds utility you mentioned.

Regards, Geoff.